The United Methodist Church has been engaged in a long eight-year process to revise the social principles that underlie the church positions on a long list of social issues. The goal was to address social concerns facing communities and individuals and to create a document that is more focused, succinct and globally relevant with a strong theological grounding. Writers from UMCs from around the world drafted the revised the principles, solicited and considered feedback from over 4000 members and completed and translated the Revised Principles into eight languages.
The Church challenges United Methodists to pray, study and work in areas of social concern.
Solon Church and Society Ministry Team met with the Mental Health Collaborative Team composed of volunteers from other churches in the community on June 22. At that meeting, we agreed to continue the community emphasis on mental health and to identify a Spring and a Fall activity the group will promote to raise awareness of mental health challenges and needs, educate the community and raise funds to support resource availability.
We seek individuals interested in mental health and social justice issues to join our planning team and
participate in advancing social justice issues in our community.
We meet in the Solon United Methodist Church Fellowship Hall on the 4th Tuesday of each month at 6:00PM.
Please contact Keela Herr at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or would like to join the SUMC Church and Society Ministry Team.
Help is here:
Rehab.Help.org is a community organization dedicated to empowering people suffering from substance abuse addiction with tools and resources to start their personal journey toward recovery. We create and publish comprehensive, unbiased, free web-based resources that have been featured and is referenced by many governmental agencies and organizations across the web.
Here are examples of guides at this resource :
(Adopted January 23, 2018)
Church and Society Ministry Team of the Solon United Methodist Church
The Church & Society Ministry Team of SUMC welcomes & accepts ALL people regardless of where they are on their life’s journey.
- If you are faithful, doubting, or seeking we welcome you,
- If you are 3 days old, 30 years old, or 103 years old,
- If you were born in Mexico, Syria or anywhere else in the world,
- If you are male, female, transgender, or gender non-conforming,
- If you are straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual or asexual,
- If you are a person with a disability, without a disability, or a person with mental health issues,
- If you are single, married, divorced, widowed, with children, without children, or partnered,
- If you are a Republican, Democrat, Independent, Socialist, or not registered to vote,
- If you are Asian, Hispanic, African American, Native American, White, or multi-racial,
- If you have, or had, addictions, bankruptcies, or a criminal record,
- If you own your home, rent, live with your parents, or are homeless.
All are welcomed to join us in a journey toward greater Christian love, understanding, and mutual respect.
The Church & Society Ministry Team of the Solon United Methodist Church is committed to fostering a loving, welcoming interfaith community centered in the Good News of Jesus Christ, which is for ALL people. Therefore, in faithfulness to the Gospel and to the best of our ability, we strive to demonstrate our commitment through connecting, igniting and loving all who seek to experience God’s abiding love and to become disciples of Jesus the Christ.